A Journey in Multimedia Journalism
The Immersion to Action – Science Communication Studio Bootcamp is a transformative 2-week program designed to support established and emerging talents in science journalism and multimedia storytelling.
This innovative bootcamp will help participants develop new ideas, practices, and models aimed at creating engaging and immersive digital experiences around science, society, and the wider issues facing us today, including the impact of Generative AI such as ChatGPT.
Selected fellows will have the additional opportunity to continue for one to three months working within the collaborative and dynamic Swissnex office space at San Francisco’s Pier 17 location.
During this time, fellows will be exposed to the Bay Area’s thriving science communication community, network with industry mentors and partners, and receive visibility and financial aid.
Why the Bay Area
The Bay Area is renowned for its innovative approach to storytelling and outreach, including AI, virtual and augmented reality, crowdsourcing, open access, and data-driven storytelling. Swissnex San Francisco is located in close proximity to several leading organizations, including the Exploratorium, California Academy of Sciences, Autodesk, Google, IDEO, PLOS, UC Berkeley, Stanford University, NASA, and Lawrence Berkeley National Labs.
The Immersion to Action – Science Communication Bootcamp is open to a wide range of professionals, including:
- Journalists working in Science, Technology, and Innovation
- Scientists and researchers from PhD students to early-stage faculty
- Multimedia storytellers
- Professional science communicators
- Professionals from creative industries
- Artists and cultural practitioners
To be eligible for the program, candidates must be based in Switzerland and have a portfolio of work or projects related to science communication.
What we're looking for
We are seeking individuals with a bold and inspiring vision for science journalism and immersive storytelling along with a proposed project which they will evolve during the program. Ideal candidates will have a collaborative and cross-disciplinary approach to their work, leverage technology to reach new audiences, and create engaging and impactful digital experiences.
Our goal is to spark a new generation of science journalists who drive public dialogue, promote new ways of thinking about science, and empower citizens to make informed decisions. We aim to create a platform that brings science to unexpected places and ignites conversations among audiences who may not be actively seeking science information.
What we offer
A two week bootcamp to three months and includes the following support:
- A two-week intensive curriculum with experts in science journalism, multimedia storytelling, experience design, and immersive experiences
- Tailored fellowship program, including introductions to relevant contacts, regular meetings with the fellowship staff, and coaching with external mentors
- Desk space within Swissnex in San Francisco, access to meeting rooms and shared resources
- Networking program through online and offline events
- Opportunity to work closely with swissnex’s team, programs, and interdisciplinary community at Pier 17
Tuition is CHF 2000.– for the 2-week bootcamp. Financial support is available to accepted applicants, funded by the Gebert Rüf Stiftung.
- Travel and housing support up to CHF 5’000 depending on the length of stay
- Supplies and equipment
- Coaching, training, and conferences
- In addition to these benefits, fellows will have access to all Swissnex events for free, participate in community networking events, and enjoy the many perks of working in a vibrant downtown location
How to Apply
Preliminary applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until April 11, 2023.
- Submit your preliminary application by April 11, 2023. Your application should outline your vision and background. If suitable, we’ll ask you to interview, then request your full application.
- Submit your full application by April 20, 2023. We will provide you with a full application form to complete.
Your application is reviewed by the Immersion to Action – SciComm Advisory Board. You will hear back from us by May 1st. We expect the 2-week bootcamp to start on July 24, 2023.
Send any inquiries to:
Creative Industries Program Manager at Swissnex in San Francisco
Impressions of the Program an the associated Event
This project is funded by the Gebert Rüf Stiftung.