Explore career opportunities at Swissnex in San Francisco and in our global network.
Join our Team
Part of a world-wide network, Swissnex in San Francisco is Switzerland’s innovation outpost in the Bay Area. We are a dynamic, international team connecting the dots in education, research, innovation, and the arts. We produce events, exhibitions, and startup bootcamps (to name a few) at Pier 17 on the waterfront in San Francisco.
Partnerships Internship at Swissnex in San Francisco
Title: Partnerships Associate
Status: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Duration: July 1 for 12 months – Start or end date may change as local pandemic regulations change
Swissnex is the Swiss global network connecting the dots in education, research, and innovation. The Swissnex global network consists of five locations and outposts established in the world’s most innovative hubs. We contribute to strengthening Switzerland’s profile as a world-leading innovation hotspot.
Located at Pier 17, Swissnex in San Francisco connects the dots between Switzerland and the West Coast of the USA in education, research, innovation, and the arts. Our goal is to empower next generation innovators as changemakers working to solve the world’s greatest challenges. In service of this goal, our dynamic and international team produces events, academic and corporate programs, startup bootcamps, and much more. Our work space is shared with artists, corporate innovators, researchers, and startups, and is connected to an event space and our digital community.
In response to the pandemic, Swissnex in SF shifted its activities online, and we are currently exploring new business models and building new initiatives. Sharpening our focus on the core systemic issues our society faces, we foster international collaboration science, innovation and the arts to generate new solutions. A rare opportunity to join the team as Partnerships Associate (internship) is available for a people-oriented, flexible, open-minded, creative and self-motivated individual.
The Partnerships Associate is a flexible individual who is excited to be a part of our current organizational transformation and content to adapt as needed to new and changing responsibilities. You will play a crucial role in enabling both digital and in-person programming, such as researchers’ sabbaticals, virtual and in-person visits and events, and more. You will support the team transversely across Swissnex SF, performing research and creating content (e.g. trends, benchmarking and insights reports) on behalf of partners and for the team.
Reporting to the Deputy CEO and Head of Partnerships, you will support the partnership team with organizing a variety of digital and, eventually, in-person programs. Together with the team, you get the chance to shape how partnerships develop in the future – anticipating the long-term effects of COVID-19, and how Swissnex in San Francisco can diversify its streams of income and range of partners.
You will also support the Swissnex team with general operational duties, and you should be willing to roll up your sleeves to do whatever needs to be done. This internship offers unique exposure to international experts and thought-leaders from a variety of fields, and the possibility to learn hands-on about event planning and execution, fundraising and program development, operations and more. As part of a small team with a bottom-up, informal culture, you can shape projects and outcomes, and learn with and from colleagues, partners and stakeholders, and build your own professional network within Silicon Valley’s innovation ecosystem.
Key Responsibilities May Include
– Partnerships Program Coordination (50%) : Logistical support and execution of University and NextGeneration Programs; deliver on existing mandates; support the creation of new mission-aligned partnerships and related programming.
– Research and Content Creation (20%) Conduct research and produce content tailored for partners (from benchmarking or specific reporting on trends to blog writing).
– Resident & Community Support (20%) Support team in serving our resident community and contribute to the creation and implementation of digital and in-person offerings for the Swissnex community. Maintain up-to-date CRM systems for engagement within the physical and virtual community.
– Operational support, special projects, and other duties (10%) To be determined according to organizational needs and, where possible, candidate’s interests and abilities.
Our Ideal Candidate
– Has some experience with project management, working with external partners, content creation, and producing events, along with a demonstrated passion for science, art, innovation and the digital world.
– Is an organizational wizard and a do-er. This role is primarily about organizing, executing and getting things done, along with some research and writing.
– Has excellent communication skills, including command of written and spoken English, and is fluent in at least one Swiss language.
– Familiarity with innovative partnerships is a plus.
– Is an excellent problem-solver, as well as proactive, independent, self-motivated, collaborative, energetic and detail-oriented. Flexibility is critical.
– Is interested in new technologies and loves to experiment with new digital tools to develop hybrid formats.
– Is willing to work evening hours as needed for events, and is comfortable with the physical work required for in-person event production (standing and walking for extended periods, lifting, and moving tables and chairs, etc.).
What we Offer
– Be part of a creative, fun team curating and producing events and programs.
– Create, within a team environment, interdisciplinary events to inspire and excite a variety of audiences.
– Gain work experience in a creative and fast-paced environment, in one of the most dynamic regions of the world and collaborate with interesting partners in the fields of science, education, art and innovation in both Silicon Valley and Switzerland.
– Develop networking and project management skills and extend your personal network.
– Salary of CHF 2,680/month, paid in USD at current exchange rate at time of contract
Eligibility Criteria for Internship
– Candidate is a Swiss citizen.
– Candidate currently studies in a university or university of applied sciences in Switzerland towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and is requested to do an internship in order to obtain the degree, OR the last university degree (Bachelor/Master) is not older than one year at the beginning of the internship (no exceptions are possible).
– Candidate has not gained professional experience in the field of his/her studies.
– The total period of internships (“Hochschulpraktikum”/ “Stage académique”, including this one) within the Swiss confederation does not exceed 12 months.
Ready to Apply?
To be considered, you must apply through the link below and include your resume (CV) and a cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest in the position. Please share a password protected video not exceeding one minute in length telling us about one issue you are really passionate about. Please also include links to relevant publications if any.Apply now
Deadline to apply is Sunday, April 25, 2021.