Health & Well-Being
Academic Impact Sabbatical at Swissnex in San Francisco
Swiss researchers, professors, and lecturers have the opportunity to spend an Impact Sabbatical at Swissnex in San Francisco in the Spring or Summer of 2023. Participants of this sabbatical will be part of a Swiss academic cohort conducting research on a shared subject. The Summer 2023 cohort will focus on Health & Well-Being, the Winter 2024 cohort will focus on Circularity & Sustainable Cities.
The sabbatical program provides participants with an immersion into the San Francisco Bay Area innovation ecosystem that helps them take their research project to the next level. Swissnex supports participants to enrich their research projects with insights and inspiration from the San Francisco Bay Area and helps them to collaborate with the local ecosystem by finding interesting partners, learning new skills and knowledge, and expanding their mindset in terms of impact, inclusivity, and more.
The program includes training sessions and workshops, introductions to relevant ecosystem players, regular check-ins, and access to Swissnex’s workspace at Pier 17.
Applicants for this program must be researchers, professors, or lecturers of a Swiss academic institution.
Participants can choose between two different program lengths:
2-4 Week Sabbatical
- Development of SMART goals in preparation for a sabbatical with support of a Swissnex staff member
- Access to the Swissnex office at Pier 17
- Coaching sessions: networking, storytelling, growth mindset, and impact mindset
- Individual check-ins to help participants stay on track for their SMART goals
- Option to participate in the events and programs hosted and organized by Swissnex
5-8 Week Sabbatical
- Includes all points listed in the 2-4 week sabbatical
- Continued coaching on milestones and challenges for weeks 5 through 8
- Feedback and support on project ideas by Swissnex
- Opportunity to give an in-depth presentation about the development of the project to the Pier 17 community at the beginning and the end of the sabbatical
Participants have the option to extend their sabbatical by adding designated desk space for an additional two weeks to their stay (right before or right after the sabbatical)
Topic of the Sabbatical
The Summer 2023 cohort focuses on Health & Well-Being (start date: July 17, 2023).
The Winter 2024 cohort focuses on Water (start date: January 29, 2024).
The Summer 2024 cohort focuses on Circularity & Sustainable Cities (start date: July 29, 2024).
Participants have to organize funding to cover the expenses of this program with their institution. Swissnex in San Francisco might be able to cover the costs for some participants.
For more details and information about pricing, please contact [email protected]
Timeline for the Summer 2023 Cohort
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2023
- Decision by Swissnex: by May 15, 2023
- Travel Commitment Deadline: June 12, 2023
- Kick-off (virtual): June 19, 2023 (17:00 CET)
- Prep Week (virtual): June 19-23, 2023
- Sabbatical Start in SF: July 17, 2023