Explore career opportunities at Swissnex in China and in our global network.
Join our Team
Swissnex in China – the Swiss Science Consulate – connects the dots between Switzerland and China in education, research, and innovation. We are always on the lookout for new team members who share our passion for exploring, collaborating, connecting, and transforming the people and organizations we interact with.
Partnerships Internship at Swissnex in San Francisco
Title: Partnerships Associate
Status: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Duration: July 1 for 12 months – Start or end date may change as local pandemic regulations change
Swissnex is the Swiss global network connecting the dots in education, research, and innovation. The Swissnex global network consists of five locations and outposts established in the world’s most innovative hubs. We contribute to strengthening Switzerland’s profile as a world-leading innovation hotspot.
Located at Pier 17, Swissnex in San Francisco connects the dots between Switzerland and the West Coast of the USA in education, research, innovation, and the arts. Our goal is to empower next generation innovators as changemakers working to solve the world’s greatest challenges. In service of this goal, our dynamic and international team produces events, academic and corporate programs, startup bootcamps, and much more. Our work space is shared with artists, corporate innovators, researchers, and startups, and is connected to an event space and our digital community.
In response to the pandemic, Swissnex in SF shifted its activities online, and we are currently exploring new business models and building new initiatives. Sharpening our focus on the core systemic issues our society faces, we foster international collaboration science, innovation and the arts to generate new solutions. A rare opportunity to join the team as Partnerships Associate (internship) is available for a people-oriented, flexible, open-minded, creative and self-motivated individual.
The Partnerships Associate is a flexible individual who is excited to be a part of our current organizational transformation and content to adapt as needed to new and changing responsibilities. You will play a crucial role in enabling both digital and in-person programming, such as researchers’ sabbaticals, virtual and in-person visits and events, and more. You will support the team transversely across Swissnex SF, performing research and creating content (e.g. trends, benchmarking and insights reports) on behalf of partners and for the team.
Reporting to the Deputy CEO and Head of Partnerships, you will support the partnership team with organizing a variety of digital and, eventually, in-person programs. Together with the team, you get the chance to shape how partnerships develop in the future – anticipating the long-term effects of COVID-19, and how Swissnex in San Francisco can diversify its streams of income and range of partners.
You will also support the Swissnex team with general operational duties, and you should be willing to roll up your sleeves to do whatever needs to be done. This internship offers unique exposure to international experts and thought-leaders from a variety of fields, and the possibility to learn hands-on about event planning and execution, fundraising and program development, operations and more. As part of a small team with a bottom-up, informal culture, you can shape projects and outcomes, and learn with and from colleagues, partners and stakeholders, and build your own professional network within Silicon Valley’s innovation ecosystem.
Key Responsibilities May Include
– Partnerships Program Coordination (50%) : Logistical support and execution of University and NextGeneration Programs; deliver on existing mandates; support the creation of new mission-aligned partnerships and related programming.
– Research and Content Creation (20%) Conduct research and produce content tailored for partners (from benchmarking or specific reporting on trends to blog writing).
– Resident & Community Support (20%) Support team in serving our resident community and contribute to the creation and implementation of digital and in-person offerings for the Swissnex community. Maintain up-to-date CRM systems for engagement within the physical and virtual community.
– Operational support, special projects, and other duties (10%) To be determined according to organizational needs and, where possible, candidate’s interests and abilities.
Our Ideal Candidate
– Has some experience with project management, working with external partners, content creation, and producing events, along with a demonstrated passion for science, art, innovation and the digital world.
– Is an organizational wizard and a do-er. This role is primarily about organizing, executing and getting things done, along with some research and writing.
– Has excellent communication skills, including command of written and spoken English, and is fluent in at least one Swiss language.
– Familiarity with innovative partnerships is a plus.
– Is an excellent problem-solver, as well as proactive, independent, self-motivated, collaborative, energetic and detail-oriented. Flexibility is critical.
– Is interested in new technologies and loves to experiment with new digital tools to develop hybrid formats.
– Is willing to work evening hours as needed for events, and is comfortable with the physical work required for in-person event production (standing and walking for extended periods, lifting, and moving tables and chairs, etc.).
What we Offer
– Be part of a creative, fun team curating and producing events and programs.
– Create, within a team environment, interdisciplinary events to inspire and excite a variety of audiences.
– Gain work experience in a creative and fast-paced environment, in one of the most dynamic regions of the world and collaborate with interesting partners in the fields of science, education, art and innovation in both Silicon Valley and Switzerland.
– Develop networking and project management skills and extend your personal network.
– Salary of CHF 2,680/month, paid in USD at current exchange rate at time of contract
Eligibility Criteria for Internship
– Candidate is a Swiss citizen.
– Candidate currently studies in a university or university of applied sciences in Switzerland towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and is requested to do an internship in order to obtain the degree, OR the last university degree (Bachelor/Master) is not older than one year at the beginning of the internship (no exceptions are possible).
– Candidate has not gained professional experience in the field of his/her studies.
– The total period of internships (“Hochschulpraktikum”/ “Stage académique”, including this one) within the Swiss confederation does not exceed 12 months.
Ready to Apply?
To be considered, you must apply through the link below and include your resume (CV) and a cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest in the position. Please share a password protected video not exceeding one minute in length telling us about one issue you are really passionate about. Please also include links to relevant publications if any.Apply now
Deadline to apply is Sunday, April 25, 2021.
Junior Administration Manager
Tasks and responsibilities
- Secretarial works for CEO / CG and Deputy Consul General
- Taking care of all IT devices in co-ordination with vendor / partner and Headquarters. Maintaining software / application licenses
- Managing digital events and activities: event management support (RSVP, organization, VIP delegations and visiting diplomats)
- Records and CRM Management: filing systems and archives as per requirement
- Operating the telephone and keeping the telephone list up to date
- Office building management: manages in-house building queries
- Office promotional and supplies management: annual orders of office and PR materials
- Prepares weekly diplomatic courier
Requirements and profile
Swissnex in India / Consulate General of Switzerland in Bangalore is an official mission, therefore the following conditions and requirements of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs apply for this position:
- Bachelors' degree
- Superior written and oral English language skills. German and / or French language skills are an asset, but not mandatory
- Entry level position, 2 to 4 years of working experience appreciated
- IT work experience and IT skills required
- Maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties, be honest and trustworthy, respectful, possesses cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Able to take directions and work in a team environment, but also self-motivating
- Flexible for occasional evening or weekend assignments
Submit your CV and with motivation letter latest by March 31 to [email protected] or to the following address: Consulate General of Switzerland, Crescent Park, N° 26, Rest House Crescent Road, Bangalore – 560001.Apply now
For questions, please call Ms. Palek Sharma, Liaison Officer, on +91 80 4941 2000 # 845440.
Startup & Innovation Project Manager
Swissnex in Brazil: Connecting Tomorrow in Science, Education and Innovation
Swissnex’s mission in Brazil is to nurture the Swiss innovation ecosystem with ideas, concepts and contacts to help Switzerland maintain and strengthen its competitive edge. We foster dialogue and enable collaboration among opinion leaders, researchers and practitioners in education, science and innovation between Brazil and Switzerland. Structured as a public-private venture, Swissnex works with sector partners, sponsors and donors who are equally committed to furthering Switzerland’s leading position as an innovation nation, under the Swiss State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) scope of work.
Swissnex is looking for a dynamic Start-ups & Innovation Project Manager based in São Paulo with experience in working with startups and innovation for its multi-faceted, transdisciplinary, creative and international activities.
As one of the members of the Swissnex team, you are expected to take full ownership for accomplishing different requests and projects from Swiss and Brazilian stakeholders; to identify and explore opportunities to shape a sustainable portfolio of future activities, and to expand and deepen our relationships with Brazilian and Swiss partners.
Our office infrastructure enables hosting different kinds of activities as well as welcoming residents to explore opportunities in Brazil. You will get the opportunity to be part of a creative, international and innovative venture with a special focus on projects in entrepreneurship and innovation; interact and collaborate with high-level representatives of both Switzerland and Brazil; expand your skills and update your professional knowledge.
Reactively and proactively work with the CEO of Swissnex in Brazil and the core team to accomplish tasks and respond to requests; take full ownership of the professional implementation of projects; take a leading role in projects; and contribute new ideas and initiatives to further Swissnex’s unique mission and objectives.
The Start-ups & Innovation Project Manager is a hands-on connector and startup coach with a passion for entrepreneurship and a high level of curiosity for new technologies. The position reports directly to the CEO and, in close coordination with the São Paulo Office, has the following primary responsibilities:
Startups & Innovation Projects: take a leading role in further expanding activities and services geared towards startups and innovation actors;
Networking & ‘Connecting the dots’: proactively reach out to relevant contacts, stakeholders, and act as a connector between people and ideas;
Partnership Development: identify locations and form lasting partnerships with leading local institutions for São Paulo-based projects;
Event Planning & Management: planning, implementation and evaluation of events, training and delegation visits with a focus on innovation/entrepreneurship;
Research: on- and offline research on specific themes as requested by stakeholders.
Startups & Innovation Projects
Conduct the Innosuisse Market Entry Program in Brazil: identify and manage Swiss technology and science-based startup pipeline in close coordination with the Rio de Janeiro Office team. Build a strong network of local coaches and partners, implement the program including communications, reach out, logistics, reporting, etc. Support any other activities related to the implementation of the Innosuisse Market Entry Camp in Brazil, collaborate and exchange with other Swissnex Global Offices project managers;
Support the planning and implementation of the Academia Industry Training (AIT) program in Rio de Janeiro & São Paulo;
Advise Swiss technology and science-based startups regarding Brazilian market activities/opportunities;
Organize individual and group startup camps;
Identify and consult on opportunities for startups and innovative companies, including responding to requests from startups interested in entering the Swiss / Brazilian market
Develop residency/training program for Swiss startups coming to Brazil, including the definition of target groups, partners, budget, funding sources, etc.
‘Connecting the dots’ & Networking
Build local know-how and trusted relationships with prime local representatives of science, technology, innovation and business;
Maintain a strong network in the São Paulo’s startup and innovation ecosystems and in Switzerland;
Attend and host meetings, events and conferences as a Swissnex representative, and share contacts, findings and learnings with the Swissnex team in Brazil;
Reactively and proactively promote collaboration between people and organizations in Switzerland and Brazil.
Identify and onboard leading, value-adding local partners for projects in general;
Identify and onboard key opinion leaders, experts, mentors, coaches, speakers and partners for the Academia-Industry Training (AIT) and Innosuisse Market Entry Program;
Proactively identify and pursue opportunities with Swiss partners in close coordination with HQ in Switzerland.
Event Planning & Management
Conduct research and brainstorm for events in close collaboration with the Swissnex team: identify and contact potential speakers; identify and secure high-visibility event locations; identify funding sources; draft funding requests and pitch projects to potential funding partners;
Organize visits and delegations (multi-day group visits to São Paulo);
Implement events including communications, reach out to guests, logistics, reporting, etc.
Assist in conducting on and offline research and write reports on science, technology and innovation topics as defined in collaboration with HQ and/or stakeholders;
Conduct fact-finding missions and market survey/research for specific sectors in Brazil which are relevant for Swiss technology and science-based startups;
Continuously follow developments trends in the entrepreneurship and innovation landscapes in Brazil and Switzerland;
What we look for in a candidate
Background / Experience
Degree in Engineering, Exact Sciences, Business, Economics, International Relations or related areas;
1 – 2 years of startup related work experience;
International experience (Swiss experience is a plus);
Experience in working with many different stakeholders/managing complex requests;
Experience in managing projects and/or programs;
Familiarity with the Swiss and São Paulo’s startup ecosystems (proven network of relevant contacts, including startup related contacts, in the São Paulo region is a plus).
Excellent people, communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills;
Excellent team-oriented working skills;
Proven organizational skills and ability to multitask;
Solid time management and ability to prioritize;
Professional mastery (reading and speaking) of Portuguese and English language;
Proficiency with at least one (1) Swiss national language is strongly preferred.
General / Personality
Outgoing, communicative; avid networker and connector;
Responsive, service-oriented, reliable;
Transdisciplinary mindset/systems thinking;
Can-do attitude and self-starter with the capacity to handle uncertainty and launch new projects;
Independent, self-motivated, hands-on, proactive, creative, resourceful;
Ability to work outside of regular office hours when needed (for events and delegations);
Passion for entrepreneurship and a high level of curiosity for new technologies;
Dedication to further Swiss excellence in science, education and innovation.
This is a 100% position; ideal starting date: based on contract signature;Apply now
Brazilian non-profit salary levels and local regulations apply;
Only applications from Brazilian nationals and Swiss holders of a work permit in Brazil (Carteira de Trabalho) will be considered;
Fluency in Portuguese and good familiarity with Brazil is required;
The position requires flexible work hours, including some evenings and weekends.
What Our Alumni Say?
Christina Myers worked as an academic intern and HEC Lausanne ambassador at Swissnex in China from Jul 2013 to Jan 2014.