Circularity & Sustainable Cities
Academic Impact Sabbatical at Swissnex in San Francisco
Participants of this sabbatical will be part of a Swiss academic cohort conducting research on a shared subject. The Summer 2023 cohort will focus on Health & Well-Being, the Winter 2024 cohort will focus on Water, and the Summer 2024 cohort will focus on Circularity & Sustainable Cities.
The sabbatical program provides participants with an immersion into the San Francisco Bay Area innovation ecosystem that helps them take their research project to the next level. Swissnex supports participants to enrich their research projects with insights and inspiration from the San Francisco Bay Area and helps them to collaborate with the local ecosystem by finding interesting partners, learning new skills and knowledge, and expanding their mindset in terms of impact, inclusivity, and more.
The program includes training sessions and workshops, introductions to relevant ecosystem players, regular check-ins, and access to Swissnex’s workspace at Pier 17.
Applicants for this program must be researchers, professors, or lecturers of a Swiss academic institution and must organize funding to cover the expenses of this program with their institution.
Participants can choose between two different program lengths:
2-4 Week Sabbatical
- Development of SMART goals in preparation for a sabbatical with support of a Swissnex staff member
- Access to the Swissnex office at Pier 17
- Coaching sessions: networking, storytelling, growth mindset, and impact mindset
- Individual check-ins to help participants stay on track for their SMART goals
- Option to participate in the events and programs hosted and organized by Swissnex
5-8 Week Sabbatical
- Includes all points listed in the 2-4 week sabbatical
- Continued coaching on milestones and challenges for weeks 5 through 8
- Feedback and support on project ideas by Swissnex
- Opportunity to give an in-depth presentation about the development of the project to the Pier 17 community at the beginning and the end of the sabbatical
Participants have the option to extend their sabbatical by adding designated desk space for an additional two weeks to their stay (right before or right after the sabbatical)
Topic of the Sabbatical
The Summer 2023 cohort focuses on Health & Well-Being (start date: July 17, 2023).
The Winter 2024 cohort focuses on Water (start date: January 29, 2024).
The Summer 2024 cohort focuses on Circularity & Sustainable Cities (start date: July 29, 2024).
For more details and information about pricing, please contact [email protected]
Timeline for the 2024 Summer Sabbatical
- Application Deadline: May 31, 2024
- Decision by Swissnex: by June 15, 2024
- Travel Commitment Deadline: June 24, 2024
- Kick-off (virtual): July 1, 2024 (17:00 CET)
- Prep Week (virtual): July 1-5, 2024
- Sabbatical Start in SF: July 29, 2024